Family Law


At Steele McKay Law, PLLC, our mission is to assist your family through hard times and to make the process as easy as possible for you.  We will advise you of your legal options and keep you informed throughout the process.

We understand family law matters are unique to each family and difficult because emotions are involved.  We will work with you before, during and after your case to provide legal advice customized to your family and your needs.

We care about each of our clients and our goal is to help you through your difficult time so you can put it behind you and continue moving forward.

Call or email us to learn about your options and to find out how we can assist you with your family law needs.  We will always be open and honest with you about your options so you can make the best decision for you and your family.  We are available after hours to assist you - know your rights, day or night.

Let us help your family through a difficult time.  We provide legal services in the following family law areas:


  • Dissolution of Marriage (divorce)
  • Child Custody
  • Modifications
  • Adoptions
  • Child Support
  • Timesharing
  • Alimony
  • Property and Debt Division
  • Annulments
  • Marriages
  • Relocation
  • Paternity
  • Name Change
  • Pre-nuptial and Post-Marital Agreements

You don’t have to face your family law matter alone.  We can help.


Helpful Tips:

Keep your emotions under control and do not lash out at your children or spouse.

Be reasonable and cooperate as much as possible with your spouse.  It will make the process smoother.

Divorce is tough on children.  Support your children and understand it is hard on them also.

Do not use your children as messengers between you and your spouse.

Do not make your children pick between their mother and father.  Keep children out of the case as much as possible.

Communicate with your spouse about your children and to avoid misunderstandings.

Share information about the children with the other parent.  Both parents have a right to stay informed on the health and welfare of the children.

Children should have regular and continuing communication with both parents.


Frequently Asked Questions:

How long will my case take?

Each case is unique and different so there is no set length of time for a case.  If the parties are in agreement and can reach a settlement outside of court the case will move quicker than a case that goes to court for a resolution.

Does my spouse have to agree to a divorce?

No, Florida is a no-fault divorce state.  Generally, you must show your marriage is irretrievably broken for a judge to grant your dissolution of marriage.

My new spouse wants to adopt my child.  How do we do this?

The stepparent petitions the court to assume financial and legal responsibility for his/her spouse's child(ren) and to sever the parental rights and responsibilities (including child support) of the non-custodial parent.